**Follow me on my journey- as I cook my way through David Rocco's new cook book; Dolce Vita!

Friday 28 October 2011

Be Cautious this Halloween!

Since it is Halloween this Monday, I thought I would make a sweet treat, called 'Croccante di Mandorle' from the Dolci section of the Dolce Vita cook book.
Four cups of whole almonds was all I needed. I purchased toasted salted ones.
I also needed 3 cups of sugar that I simply had to cook over the stove.
This is what the sugar looks like once it has melted. I threw some eye balls into my Witches brew- for some added flavor ;)
Then I toseed in my almonds, stirred quickly, quickly poured it into a pan and spread it out flat. My Mom makes this a lot and I love the crunchy sweet flavor. The almonds are deliciously sweet! However, I found there are a few warnings that should go with preparing this dessert!

Warning! When you pour the almonds onto the pan, you have 5 seconds to spread it flat before it starts to harden!
Caution! Don't be tempted to line your pan with parchment paper because it WILL STICK onto the brittle
WATCH OUT! Because if you don't pour hot water into your pan right away- that sugar will stick to your pot and be next to impossible to wash off!
Beware! Don't eat too much because there's a lot of sugar in one morsel

So enjoy your sweets this Halloween and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment