**Follow me on my journey- as I cook my way through David Rocco's new cook book; Dolce Vita!

Friday 15 April 2011

The house smells....soooo GOOD!

Today I made Finicchio al Forno (carmelized fennel). We eat fennel all the time and my kids say that their friends have no idea what it is. We usually slice it up and drizzle olive oil, black pepper and salt over it and it has a wonderful licorice/fennel seed taste to it.
One thing we always have on hand is Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese. When a recipe calls for this cheese, never buy it already grated and make sure it's Parmiggiano and not Parmesan. Parmesan is no the real thing and it doesn't taste as good as Parmiggiano. We grate this on our pasta, eat it on it's own with bread and sometimes add the rind to our sugo (tomato sauce). 
I have never cooked fennel before, so I couldn't wait to give this a try. The fennel was nice and crunchy and it tasted a bit bitter-almost like eggplant- when it's cooked. One thing is for sure; my house smelled soooo good when I baked this dish!

1 comment:

  1. You and Randy man, yes you would have soooooo much in common.
    I also LOVE fennel, just never know what to do with it. I used to grill them marinated in olive oil and balsamic.
    Happy weekend Sandy.
    Love you
    Love me
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete