**Follow me on my journey- as I cook my way through David Rocco's new cook book; Dolce Vita!

Sunday 10 April 2011

No More Boring Meals!

 I was thinking about how thrilled I am -to be on this journey- because I was so bored with the same dishes we were cooking week after week! This is what we ate every week: pasta with sauce, veal and broccoli,  pepperoni pizza and salad, chicken soup, bbq'd marinated chicken and potatoes, salmon and green beans. It was so boring to me that I would skip eating the meals myself and would have cookies or cereal later that night. That's not a good thing! 

On Saturday afternoon, I made Antipasto di Ricotta for lunch. This is a starter dish, but for me it was enough for a meal. I never ate ricotta on it's own before. I usually put it in my pasta with some olive oil. I am watching my weight and am pleased to find that all the dishes in Dolce Vita are very low in fat- not to mention that we are using fresh and home-grown ingredients.

I looked around for Ricotta di Pecorino (made from sheep's milk) and found only a hard version. I was pleased to find though, that some cheese factories will sell steaming hot fresh cow's milk ricotta on Sundays.
I love ricotta, so I couldn't wait to try this. The lemon zest surprisingly went well with the ricotta. I served it with fresh Italian bread- that I picked up at a local Italian bakery.
I'm sure some of you are wondering if my kids are enjoying the dishes- because kids can be picky! As you can see in the above picture, my 9 year old really enjoyed the ricotta dish. Fortunately for me, my children grew up with Italian food and are always eager to try new things.

3 comments:

  1. Sandy, I love your photos and commentary. And I might even learn some Italian reading your delicious blog.
    Peace,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this should be fun! I'll be reading...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just the coolest idea ever Sandy. I prefer Italian food to Julia's any day. Maybe you'll be starring in your own movie one day too.

    ReplyDelete